Founded by Philip III of Spain in 1620, the University of Cagliari was founded with four teachings: Theology, Laws, Medicine, Philosophy and Arts. In the second half of the 18th century Palazzo Belgrano was built, which still today houses the Rectorate and the University Library. With the Casati Law “of 1859 in Cagliari develops the Botanical Garden and the Biological Station.
Obtained in 1606 the recognition of Pope Paul V and achieved in 1620 the privilege of foundation by Philip III of Spain, the Universitas Studiorum Caralitana began its activity in 1626. Inspired mainly by the models of Spanish universities and to a lesser extent the Italian ones, the General Studio consists of four Teaching Colleges: Theology, Law, Medicine, Philosophy, and Arts.
During the course of the 17th century no appreciable changes in the Order took place. Noteworthy will be the novelties introduced in the second half of the eighteenth century, following the Constitutions approved by Charles Emmanuel III of Savoy. In addition to the reform of the studies, there is also a course for the construction of a new University building on the Bastion of the Balice in the Castle of Cagliari: the entire building, now home to the Rectorate and joined to the ex Seminario Tridentino, is realized on a project by Captain Engineer Saverio Belgrano of Famolasco, commander of the Military Engineers in the Island: the inauguration of the building took place on November 1, 1769, coinciding with the beginning of the new Academic Year.
The existing structures have developed in three distinct phases in the arc of 1900. In the 30s the Faculties of Pharmacy, Magisterium and Mining Engineering were born; after World War II followed Lettere e Filosofia, the Student House and the “Cittadella dei Musei.” In the 1980s the construction of the new university town and the Policlinico began in Monserrato.
The progressive growth of the university has led to the current configuration in 6 Faculties and 17 Departments, which constitute the operational nuclei of the university organization responsible for achieving the primary objectives of the university: research and teaching, at the service of the high demand of innovation required by today’s knowledge society.
With over 24,750 members, 37 three-year, 34 magistrali and 6 single-cycle courses, 30 specialization schools, 15 doctoral courses, 12 active masters, the University of Cagliari ensures an important contribution to the high education of young people who they choose to study in Cagliari and for the entire island community.
The institutional and organizational set-up of the University of Cagliari is divided into 4 areas: academic bodies, operational divisions, staff units and other bodies.
The organizational structure envisages as governing bodies the Rector, the Pro-rectors and delegates, the Academic Senate and the Board of Directors, as the managing body the General Manager and as control bodies the Evaluation Unit and the Board of Auditors.
There is also a single Guarantee Committee and a Student Guarantor.